Search This Blog

Welcome to The Real DFG's Pittsburgh Penguin Autograph Project. My goal is to eventually try and get at least one autograph of every player to lace up the skates in an NHL game for the Pittsburgh Penguins. It could have been for one game or 700 games, I will add them. Occasionally I may post cards of former players in their new team uniforms. While the goal is to get autos in Pens uni's, it isn't always possible. Since the team has been in existence since 1967, the list is pretty large. Last I checked, it was somewhere in the range of 624 different players. Currently, I sit at about 100 autographs (with some duplication). Enjoy the posts.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Brad Werenka

Here we have an autograph of the great Pittsburgh Penguin player Bulala.  He is known by one name, just as many of the other greatest hockey players of all time including, Madonna, Cher, Prince, or Meatloaf.  No?  You aren't buying that?  Well, that's what his signature looks like.

This is our friend Brad Werenka.  I picked this up somewhere along the line from a show.  I imagine it came from a dollar box or something of that nature.  I can't imagine I would have plunked down much more than that.  But I digress...

Werenka played in the league for a very short time (even shorter for the Pens).  He was drafted 42nd overall in 1987 by the Oilers.  And thus began his journeyman's career.  He suited up for 27 games as an Oiler in 1992-93, was traded to the Nordiques in 1993-94, was signed by the Blackhawks in 1995, and then came to the Pens in 1997 as a free agent.

He wasn't bad either.  He put up 18 points as a defenceman and helped the Pens get into the playoffs by winning the Northeast Division.  But in 1999-00 he was traded to Calgary for Rene Corbet and Tyler Moss (both huge superstars...eh em).

His career, like many before and after him, was cut short by concussions.  He "retired" on Dec. 29, 2000 after another concussion after being hit into the boards by Donald Brashear, took him out of the game.  I remember reading something that he was suing the NHLPA for damages related to that event (and others like it).  He is claiming that the NHL's insurance refused to pay his claim and the NHLPA took too long to appeal it.  I don't know what, if anything, resulted from it but I wish him luck.  Anyone that has never had a concussion or concussion-like symptoms can't possibly imagine the crippling effects it has on your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment if you want. It's your choice.