Search This Blog

Welcome to The Real DFG's Pittsburgh Penguin Autograph Project. My goal is to eventually try and get at least one autograph of every player to lace up the skates in an NHL game for the Pittsburgh Penguins. It could have been for one game or 700 games, I will add them. Occasionally I may post cards of former players in their new team uniforms. While the goal is to get autos in Pens uni's, it isn't always possible. Since the team has been in existence since 1967, the list is pretty large. Last I checked, it was somewhere in the range of 624 different players. Currently, I sit at about 100 autographs (with some duplication). Enjoy the posts.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Paul Stanton

I thought I would throw something different up here from the normal certified autos that I have been posting.  This is a 1990-91 Pro Set card of Paul Stanton, personally autographed to Erin.

Who is Erin, you ask?  I don't know.  I picked this up somewhere, possibly a show or maybe someone gave this to me.  I know that it's his auto because I have one of my own on an 8x10 glossy photo that I got from him.  He even signed mine in a similar way..."To Tim:  Best Wishes".  He was always at signings throughout the Pittsburgh area and was more than willing to give autos, especially to the kids.

He was drafted by the Penguins in 1985 when he was a senior in high school.  If that isn't a plug for how great they think you will be, I don't know what is.  Instead of jumping to the NHL and play with another young player (Mario Lemieux), he opted for college and went to the University of Wisconsin-Madison, playing all four years and being named an NCAA West All-American in 1988.

In 1990-91, he finally suited up for Pittsburgh and was a member of both Stanley Cup winning teams in 91 and 92.  He was later traded to Boston for a scrub draft pick, and the Bruins sent him to the Islanders.  In 1995 and 1996, he played for Team USA in the World Championships and helped them win the Bronze Medal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment if you want. It's your choice.