Search This Blog

Welcome to The Real DFG's Pittsburgh Penguin Autograph Project. My goal is to eventually try and get at least one autograph of every player to lace up the skates in an NHL game for the Pittsburgh Penguins. It could have been for one game or 700 games, I will add them. Occasionally I may post cards of former players in their new team uniforms. While the goal is to get autos in Pens uni's, it isn't always possible. Since the team has been in existence since 1967, the list is pretty large. Last I checked, it was somewhere in the range of 624 different players. Currently, I sit at about 100 autographs (with some duplication). Enjoy the posts.

Friday, April 5, 2013

Alex Hicks

Alex was a Pen for the better part of two seasons, both of which saw him score 20 points.  Other than that...there isn't much to say about his stint in Pittsburgh.

Alex was one of those guys that you were aware of but really never heard anything about, except when he was in a fight.  Mostly, he went out each night his number was called and did what he was needed to do.

But on other nights like October 3, 1997 against the Carolina Hurricanes, he made impressions.  Like the big one on Nelson Emerson's face.  I didn't see that game but I remember watching the highlights the next day.

As a melee ensued, Emerson came at Alex pretty quick, throwing an upper cut into his face.  Missing his mark, Alex quickly went on the offensive, unloading on Nelson's face, exploding his forehead wide open.  I remember there being ton of blood.  Of course, my memory isn't what it used to be.  I'm sure there is a YouTube out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment if you want. It's your choice.