Search This Blog

Welcome to The Real DFG's Pittsburgh Penguin Autograph Project. My goal is to eventually try and get at least one autograph of every player to lace up the skates in an NHL game for the Pittsburgh Penguins. It could have been for one game or 700 games, I will add them. Occasionally I may post cards of former players in their new team uniforms. While the goal is to get autos in Pens uni's, it isn't always possible. Since the team has been in existence since 1967, the list is pretty large. Last I checked, it was somewhere in the range of 624 different players. Currently, I sit at about 100 autographs (with some duplication). Enjoy the posts.

Saturday, March 23, 2013

John Chabot

This is my first posted TTM autograph.  However, I didn't send off for it.  Nor did I get it in person.  I picked this up from a show about a year or so ago from a dealer that specializes in in-person autographs.  I'm pretty sure this is a real auto because I have checked others like it for similarities, plus, let's be honest, who would fake a John Chabot auto?

The card is a 1985-86 Topps card of the former Montreal Canadien and, at the time of printing, Pittsburgh Penguin.  John signed this nicely with a blue sharpie marker, although without a decoder ring, it's hard to distinguish his graph from a bunch of scribble.

Chabot was a Penguin for three seasons (1984-85 thru 1986-87).  This is, of course, the time of Super Mario's emergence into the NHL so most of the other Penguins centermen go unnoticed during this period.

During those years, we used to go to a lot of Penguin games and I always remembered how John Barbero, the public address announcer, would say Chabot's name.  He was always known for drawing out the names of the players, most notably "Lemieuuuuuuuuuuuuuxxxxxxxxxx".  But Chabot has a short name, so Barbero would emphasize the John part.  "Joooohhhhnnnn Chaaabot!!".

Here is some video of a game that I actually attended where Chabot scored a breakaway against Murray Kabuki Bannerman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment if you want. It's your choice.